Hi Erin, a big welcome from us over at Curious Ginger Cat and thank you for taking the time to do a little Q&A for our readers. So, let's get started....
1. To start with, please can you tell us a little bit about your latest novel, Somewhere Only We Know?
Somewhere Only We Know is the split-narrative story of Nadia, whose life is on the cusp of changing forever, and Alex, who hasn’t had all that much of a life to speak of since he left university. Nadia, social and vivacious - and about to be deported on account of her Russian nationality - strikes up an unlikely friendship with the downtrodden boy, and decides on a characteristic whim to take him under her wing while she tackles her “bucket list” of things she wants to see and do in her beloved London, just in case the deportation actually happens. Shenanigans ensue!
2. How much research went into Somewhere Only We Know? And what particular parts needed more research than others?
3. Who was your favourite character to write in the book and why?
4. The story is set in London. What do you think makes London such an attractive place to Nadia?
5. How do you plan to celebrate the publication day for Somewhere Only We Know?
6. When looking back over your experiences regarding being a published author, what has been your favourite moment to date?
7. What's your writing process? Do you plan/plot the story or just start writing and see where it takes you? If you plan, how do you do it - notebooks, Post-It notes etc...?
8. Do you have any tips for aspiring authors who may be reading this? Anything that works well for yourself?
9. If you were to dabble in a genre that you haven't ventured into before, which genre would you choose (i.e. sci-fi, horror, crime, fantasy, childrens etc...)?
10. Were you a big reader before becoming a writer?
11. Finally, what's coming next for your readers or is it top secret for now?
Erin, thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions for our Curious Ginger Cat readers. It has been great to find out more about you and your latest novel, Somewhere Only We know. Best of luck with the publication day!
And now here's a little bit more for you:-
Blurb for Somewhere Only We Know
Boy meets girl...
Alex Bradley can't help but feel that life is rather passing him by. And not just life - promotions, invitations, romance; the girl he loves only has eyes for his flatmate and his 9-5 job as the Immigration Department skivvy is slowly numbing his soul. Until he meets Nadia.
Girl meets boy...
Nadia Osipova is running out of time. With no money, no lawyer and a totally fictitious boyfriend, she's got one last summer and one last appeal before the British government deport her back home.
Girl gets deported?
It's going to be a bumpy ride, one she's dragging her new friend Alex along for. As Nadia races through a list of all her favourite London adventures, for what may be the last time, Alex can't help but start to see the city, and his life, through Nadia's eyes.
From hazy summer days on the Common and heady nights in Soho's basement bars, to twilight walks along the Southbank, will Alex realise what he's got before it's too late?
About the Author
She lives a happy life full of wonderful friends, in love with a man who buys her books instead of flowers. To mix things up a little, she write books where friends and lovers hit obstacles and (usually) overcome them. When she's not doing that she's reading absolutely everything she can get her hands on, spending an inordinate amount of time in pyjamas and running a fun-but-informative blog on British history.