Sunday, 3 August 2014

Can you read a book without first reading the synopsis?


I read A LOT. My house is full of books and I only invested in a Kindle because I ran out of storage room for physical books. 

When choosing a new book I am initially interested by the front cover and will always read the back cover/synopsis to see whether it is something that might interest me. I therefore have an idea about the story contained within the covers. 

As an experiment, I decided  to pick a book at random and start reading without any idea about the story. I chose Lady Luck and Me by Ben Dobson (Kindle edition) for no reason other than it was one of the list of books on the screen in front of me when I thought of this idea. 

I am currently 23% of the way through the book and I still have no idea where the story is leading. Don't get me wrong, I am very much enjoying reading the tale of transition from childhood through teenage years to adulthood and the escapades he becomes involved in, it's just a bit odd having no idea as to whether the story is fiction/non-fiction and whether the story is merely the narrator's path through through life or if there is a different direction the story is going to take. I must admit, I quite enjoy the mystery. The book so far has been both hilarious and sad at times and I certainly want to carry on reading to see how the tale progresses. 

I'd be interested to know if anyone else avoids reading the synopsis before starting a book? If not, give it a try! I think it brings a new level to the reading experience. 

Ginger Cat x

No comments:

Post a Comment