Wednesday, 2 July 2014

TV & Movie Review: Orange is the New Black



What can I say except I LOVE THIS SHOW! 

This black comedy follows Piper Chapman (played by Taylor Schilling), a 30-something middle-class lady, living with her fiance (played by Jason Biggs) in New York. Her friends and family, whilst aware of her somewhat bohemian nature,  have  no idea that she has a criminal past or bisexual tendencies. Unfortunately, Piper's past catches up with her when she is named as an accomplice to an international drug dealer (her ex-girlfriend, Alex) and sentenced to 15 months in federal prison for a 10 year old crime of trafficking a suitcase of drug money. 

The show focuses on Piper's adjustment to the strict rules and limitations of prison life and the odd characters she meets on the way, including being reunited with the ex-girlfriend whom she blames for her arrest. 

The show is based on Piper Kerman's memoir, Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison, about her experiences in prison. I have not read this yet, however I am keen to give it a try.

For me, this is the first show in quite a while that has lived up to expectations. It makes me laugh out loud and each episode leaves me wanting more. 

I'm only 5 episodes in and I can't wait to see more. 

Ginger Cat x

No comments:

Post a Comment