Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Hair & Beauty: What's in my makeup bag?


Afternoon all!

I always find it interesting to see what is in other people's makeup bags, so I thought you might be interested to see what is in mine. The photograph above shows my daily 'go-to' makeup selection. Whilst I do occasionally swap and change what I use, these are the standard items that would not like to be without.




I tend to use either Clinique Superbalanced foundation in Alabaster (no. 27) or Garnier BB cream Miracle Skin Perfector in Light, mixed with a little bit of Face Lift skin illuminator from Barbara Daly for Tesco. This skin illuminator contains an SPF10 and helps to give my skin a healthy glow. Whether I use the foundation or the BB cream depends on my mood that day. The foundation is paler, so I stick to the BB cream if I've been on holiday or if I am a bit hungover/dehydrated as that tends to be less heavy on tired skin. The foundation is fantastic for situations when I need lasting coverage, such as at work. It also covers imperfections better than the BB cream.



For under eye dark circles, I use Under Eye Concealer from George at Asda. It costs less than £5 and it really is amazing! It is a better match for my skin tone than YSL Touche Éclat and other under eye concealers that I have tried. The concealer has a yellow undertone, rather than the pink undertone found in a number of similar products, and is easy to blend in. It really does camouflage dark circles just as well as any of the expensive brands.



For additional concealer, I use one from the Natural Collection at Boots. This is great for extra coverage if I am suffering from a spot or two and at £1.99 it doesn't break the bank. It covers well and is easy to blend in.



If I get a bit shiny during a busy day, a quick pat of Clinique Stay Matte Sheer Pressed Powder in Invisible Matte. This is a lightweight powder which gives light coverage and effectively reduces shine.



For my cheeks, I use Rimmel London Stay Blushed in 004 sunkissed cherry, with Benefit Hoola under the cheekbones to provide a little bit of definition. I particularly like this bronzer from Benefit as it is matte and therefore I do not get that sparkly, glittery effect which, whilst fine for evenings, I find to be somewhat too much for the workplace.



Finally, for my eyes, I use Smashbox Limitless Eyeliner in Java (dark brown) followed by a swipe of  Estee Lauder Sumptuous Waterproof Bold Volume Lifting Mascara.  The mascara goes on well without any clumping and the brush shape lets me get right into the corners. More importantly, it stays on well, even after being caught in a downpour! Similarly, the Smashbox eyeliner glides on easily and remains in place all day. It can be smudged/blended but I find that this has to be done as soon as it goes on otherwise it tends to be harder to soften.




You might notice that I have not put any lipsticks in my list of  go-to products. This is because I usually only use a bit of lip balm or Vaseline throughout the day. I tend to save lipsticks and lip glosses for evenings and weekends. However, I am becoming more interested in lip products recently and I am starting to wear them more and more.

Are any of these products in your makeup bag? Have you tried them? What do you think?

I would be interested to hear if you have any recommendations for other products you think I should try instead of my current favourites.

Ginger Cat x

No comments:

Post a Comment